Woman of Contradictions
The true story of George Eliot ... What emerges is a woman whose life was more dramatic than anything she permitted her heroines.
- Daily Mail
Ina Taylor's book will send its readers back to the novels, which is what a good biography ought to do.
- The Times
This lively and radical biography explodes the myth that has surrounded George Eliot for over a century. Basing her evidence on extensive new reasearch, Ina Taylor shows us the real George Eliot, a woman of passion, sensuality and fierce intellect, whose personal life shocked society but whose novels won her lasting admiration.
Ina Taylor 1989 George Eliot: Woman of Contradictions London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson ISBN 0-297-81091-X GBP7.95
- List of illustrations
- What's new about George Eliot?
- 1 A proud race
- 2 The long sad years of youth, 1819 - 1836
- 3 Neither use nor ornament, 1836 - 1841
- 4 You excommunicate me, 1841 - 1843
- 5 Rosehill and the inhabitants of that paradise, 1842 - 1849
- 6 His inspiration has so quickened my faculties, 1842 - 1849
- 7 Metamorphosis, 1849 - 1850
- 8 The wicked Westminster, 1851
- 9 The man question, 1852 - 1853
- 10 I am a heathen and an outlaw, 1853 - 1854
- 11 An infamous seduction, 1854 - 1855
- 12 A new era of my life, 1855 - 1857
- 13 I certainly care a good deal for the money, 1858 - 1863
- 14 Changing the image, 1863 - 1869
- 15 Honour and homage, 1870 - 1878
- 16 I am now determined to live as bravely as I can, 1878 - 1880
- Notes and references
- Select bibliograpy
Visit the The George Eliot Fellowship for a listing of events, lectures etc.
Read Kathleen Adam's essay entitled George Eliot: A Woman in Advance of Her Time: A Short Pen Picture.
Read George Eliot's Middlemarch, Mill on the Floss, and Silas Marner in full online at Bibliomania.